This was the scene outside Charter Communications Wednesday night.
West County EMS and Fire Protection District crews, along with Town and Country police, responded to a call of smoke in the building at Town and Country's Charter Communications just before 8 p.m. Wednesday. (Sign up here for the FREE Patch Newsletter, including Breaking News Alerts.) The photos in this article show the scene in the Charter Commons complex near Highway 141 and Clayton Road after the call came in. Crews on the scene tell Patch a search of the building revealed an overheated blower motor on the roof had caused the smoke. There was no fire.
The Indoor Clean Air Code now makes illegal to smoke at restaurants and public places, including those in Manchester and Town and Country.
Manchester resident David Vargas woke up at 5 a.m. Monday to watch the news. Vargas, who has been a smoker for five years, said he then heard for the first time he could no longer smoke at restaurants and most bars in the area. "You know, it's funny because one of my New Year's resolutions was to quit smoking," Vargas said. The Indoor Clean Air Code, which took effect at midnight Monday morning, bans smoking inside most public buildings in St. Louis County. Vargas said he feels at odds with the law, which was passed by county residents in 2009 with 63 percent of the vote in favor of the ban. "The law will be good for those who don't smoke, but they should at least have an area reserved for smokers," Vargas said. "You know, a place where …