Friday, March 8, 2013
Fire crews were called to West County Center Friday morning for a vehicle fire that was put out without incident.
UPDATED: 11:40 a.m.- If you saw fire crews at West County Center just after 10 a.m. Friday, the mall was not on fire. According to the Des Peres Fire Department, crews were called for a vehicle fire in the parking garage near Interstate 270 and Manchester Roads. Witnesses tell Patch, the fire created quite a bit of smoke, but fire crews now tell Patch the fire was put out without incident and the fire was contained to the car, despite construction taking place in the garage. "It took a little bit longer to get the car our because of the repairs going on," Des Peres Fire Marshal Sean Quinn tells Patch. Quinn said the mall's water supply was also being worked on so crews had to use a ladder truck to supply water put out the fire. "Nothing …
Monday, March 4, 2013
After a months-long search, Dan Bruno has just been hired as the West County EMS and Fire Protection District fire marshal.
The West County EMS & Fire Protection District has a new fire marshal. After a candidate search that began last year, Dan Bruno has been named the district's new fire marshal. (Sign up here for the FREE Patch Newsletter, including Breaking News Alerts.) Fire Chief Ernie Rhodes tells Patch, Bruno began his new job Monday, Feb. 25. As previously reported by Patch, the district has been searching to fill the opening after fire marshal Terry DeGuentz resigned from the position on Oct. 4. Rhodes said the district took a different approach to selecting its new fire marshal this time than in years past. Previously, it has typically promoted from within for the position, but this time focused on finding a civilian who is degreed in a qualified …
Thursday, December 20, 2012
This was the scene outside Charter Communications Wednesday night.
West County EMS and Fire Protection District crews, along with Town and Country police, responded to a call of smoke in the building at Town and Country's Charter Communications just before 8 p.m. Wednesday. (Sign up here for the FREE Patch Newsletter, including Breaking News Alerts.) The photos in this article show the scene in the Charter Commons complex near Highway 141 and Clayton Road after the call came in. Crews on the scene tell Patch a search of the building revealed an overheated blower motor on the roof had caused the smoke. There was no fire.
Thursday, December 13, 2012
Community Christian Church on Meramec Station Road suffered from smoke damage. Firefighters blame a spark in a heating unit.
UPDATED at 9:31 a.m. Community Christian Church at 623 Meramec Station Road in Manchester suffered smoke damage in its sanctuary, but no injuries from an early morning blaze likely caused by sparks in the heating system, according to a report from Patch partner FOX2. "It's really not something I care to remember," Deanna Simpson, business manager of the Disciples of Christ-affiliated church told Patch on Thursday morning. She said the furnace repair and the smell of smoke were the top priorities to address in the aftermath of the fire. She said she got the first report from the alarm company at about 2:15 a.m. today. West County EMS and Fire Chief Ernie Rhodes said the fire started in the basement in a heating unit. Rhodes told FOX 2 …
Saturday, December 8, 2012
The public is invited to come tour the newly updated fire station at Mason and Clayton roads from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday.
Come tour the newly renovated fire house at the intersection of Mason and Clayton roads in Town and Country. The station houses West County EMS and Fire Protection District crews. As previously reported by Town and Country - Manchester Patch, renovations began on the fire station in June after the city of Town and Country approved the Fire Station 2 renovation project estimated to cost a total of $853,400. The improvements include better HVAC control, generator capacity, function for two genders of firefighters, general wear, maintenance and comfort. Saturday, the public is invited to come tour the new fire house and have a free lunch. Town and Country Mayor Jon Dalton and West County EMS and Fire Protection District Board Chair Richard …
Monday, December 3, 2012
Fire crews got the call of the blaze in the Firestone parking lot this weekend. A passerby caught the scene on video.
(WARNING: Some viewers man find some of the language in the video offensive.) A reader emailed Patch this video of a vehicle fire Saturday night that posted on YouTube. West County EMS and Fire Protection District crews tells Patch, they received the call just before 7:30 p.m. Saturday of the fire at 14266 Manchester Road. (For instant news updates follow Patch on Facebook and Twitter.) The arrived at the Firestone near the intersection of Highway 141 and Manchester Road to find this gray pickup truck fully engulfed in flames. Fire crews tell Patch it is a total loss. According to West County, it appears the driver of the truck noticed smoke and flames coming from under the dash and pulled over into the parking lot.
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
A pregnant woman was taken to the hospital after an accident involving four cars on Highway 40.
Saturday, September 29, 2012
The new West County fire training facility is open to the public Saturday. Kids and parents can participate in firefighter and paramedic training activities. Check it out!
The West County EMS and Fire Protection District has a new training facility and Fire Safety House for community and school tours. Patch got a sneak peek earlier this year and Saturday residents are invited to come check it out! (Sign up here for the FREE Patch Newsletter, including Breaking News Alerts.) Located at 13790 Manchester Road, near the intersection of Manchester and Mason roads, the open house is 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Resident's can tour the center, participate in the hands-on exibilts and meet the West County firefighters and paramedics who respond to their local 911 calls. As previously reported by Patch, the building offers simulated fires, a fake bedroom for children to learn how to react to and escape from a fire…
Tuesday, August 21, 2012
Manchester Police Officer Gerad Gonzalez and good samaritan Joe Caruso were honored for heroism and bravery for pulling an unconscious man from a fiery crash.
The two very modest men are almost embarrassed by the attention and gratitude they are receiving since they risked their lives last Tuesday to save the lives of two others involved in a fiery car crash. However, Monday night, once again the spotlight was set on Manchester Police Officer Gerad Gonzalez and Des Peres resident Joe Caruso. With their wives, children and parents by their sides, both men were honored by the City of Manchester. (Sign up here for the FREE Patch Newsletter, including Breaking News Alert.) As previously reported by Town and Country - Manchester Patch, Gonzalez and Caruso risked their lives to pull an unconscious man from a burning car right before it exploded. It all happened after a fiery crash at Dougherty Ferry …
Saturday, August 18, 2012
Joe Caruso, who considers himself "just another dad" sprung into action when he and his daughter found themselves in the middle of a disastrous situation on the outskirts of Manchester.
A Des Peres father played the role of action hero Tuesday when he helped victims of a fiery West County car crash at the intersection of Dougherty Ferry and Carman roads. Joe Caruso doesn't claim to have super powers, however, calling himself "just another dad." The people he saved may have a different opinion. As previously reported by Town and County - Manchester, Manchester Police Officer Gerad Gonzalez and Caruso risked their lives to save a man from a burning SUV after a car crash. (Sign up here for the FREE Patch Newsletter, including Breaking News Alerts.) Caruso, 47, was driving home to Royal Acres subdivision in Des Peres at 9:51 p.m. Tuesday with his 15-year-old daughter after dropping off one of her friends who lives a short …