Thousands of breast cancer survivors, their friends and families, teams and runners and walkers alike will hit the streets in downtown St. Louis on Saturday to support the 14th Annual Susan G. Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure.
The majority of the money raised by the Komen St. Louis Affiliate stays in the metro St. Louis area. A total of 75 percent of the net proceeds fund life-saving breast health screenings, treatments, education and support programs to those who might not otherwise have access. The remaining 25 percent supports breast cancer research on the national level, which includes research in St. Louis.
(Follow Patch on Facebook for updates- check out our page and "Like" it here.)
Event organizers are hoping to raise $3.3 million with this year's race. Last year, the event raised $3.1 million. A total of 64,461 took part in the 2011 event, which included 4,982 survivors and 1,000 teams.
As of June 18, the organization is at 64 percent of its goal with more than $2.1 million that has been raised so far. More than 43,000 people and 770 teams are registered for Saturday's event. For the most up-to-date stats, visit the Komen St. Louis Race website.
(Did you attend last year's event? Share your race day photos on Patch by uploading them to this article!)
The last day to register online is June 22 at noon. You may also register the day of the event, but be sure to arrive extra early. The team registration period has ended. Can't attend the event? Donating online is easy with a few simple clicks on the organization's donation page.
The race day schedule (subject to change) is as follows:
- 6:30 a.m. — Race Day Registration/Survivor Pavilion Open, Team Photos Begin
- 7:25 a.m. — Survivor Procession
- 7:55 a.m. — Aerobic Warm-Up
- 8:30 a.m. — Team Photos End
- 8:30 a.m. — Wheelchair Race Start
- 8:35 a.m. — 5K Timed Runners Start
- 8:40 a.m. — 5K Untimed Runners Start
- 9 a.m. — 1-Mile Fun Walkers Start
- 9:45 a.m. — Awards Ceremony on Main Stage
For the fifth consecutive year, the 2012 race is presented locally by Wells Fargo Advisors. St. Louis Rams Quarterback Sam Bradford is honorary chair of the race and Stacy Kingston and Sharon Korn are co-chairs.
Fore more information and race maps, visit the Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure website or call 314-569-3900.