Maryville University and Rawlings Sporting Goods made the announcement this week at a news conference at Busch Stadium. Maryville said the new name of the school's program is Rawlings Sport Business Management Program. The university also said the partnership and renaming of the school's sports business management program is a "National First."
The partnership will aso allow Maryville's athletics teams to have access to the newest equipment and uniforms, Maryville stated in a news released.
The following additional details of the partnership were included in a news released issued by Maryville University.
Rawlings Sporting Goods and Maryville University, two highly regarded St. Louis organizations, announced today during a news conference at Busch Stadium that Rawlings has named the University’s signature, sport business management program, creating the first corporate-named sport business management program in the nation.
Jason Williams, assistant dean of the Simon School of Business, the director of the Rawlings Sport Business Management Program and the initiator of the agreement, said the University’s partnership with Rawlings, the premier sporting goods manufacturer in the United States, would enhance the education Maryville students receive.
Students will work with Rawlings executives on a variety of new and on-going projects and will have access to some of the most influential leaders in the industry – an opportunity rarely available to undergraduates. That access will enhance student learning through real-world projects that Maryville will integrate into its curriculum. Each term, Rawlings will select one business graduate student for a paid assistantship, and many undergraduate students will engage in a variety of additional projects.
Maryville’s sport business management students are involved each term with Rawlings and other organizations including the St. Louis Sports Commission, the St. Louis Cardinals, the St. Louis Blues, the St. Louis Rams and the Missouri Valley Conference. Students also complete internships at other locations across the country. Representatives from those organizations also attended the news conference. John Rooney, who broadcasts the Cardinals games with partner Mike Shannon, emceed the event.
The move boosts Maryville’s athletics programs. Rawlings will design and supply uniforms and equipment for Maryville’s basketball, baseball and softball teams, and will provide practice jerseys, other equipment and clothing. The Saints compete at the NCAA Division II level in the Great Lakes Valley Conference.
Rawlings will develop an online store for Maryville. Students will also work with the company on special events and research projects. About 90 students are enrolled in the program that builds students expertise with unique classroom experiences, internships in professional sports and volunteer opportunities.
ABOUT THIS AGREEMENT
This agreement builds on an established relationship between Maryville University and Rawlings Sporting Goods.
- This is a university-wide agreement that builds Maryville’s academic and athletics programs.
- Maryville’s sport business management program becomes the first corporate-named sports business management program in the country as the Rawlings Sport Business Management Program.
- Rawlings will supply uniforms, apparel and equipment to Maryville’s athletics programs.
- Rawlings will provide scholarships, a graduate assistantship, internships and volunteer opportunities for Maryville students.
- Identified Rawlings employees will have opportunities to pursue an MBA at Maryville using tuition discounts.
- Rawlings will use interns and volunteers to conduct market research and to staff special events.
- Rawlings employees will have access to Maryville’s fitness center.