What's a bigger Traffic Troublemaker than a driver/texter/talker? Not much, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said this week.
An August, 2010, collision on I-44 in Gray Summit, MO, killed two and injured 35. One driver was "most likely distracted from the driving task by a text messaging conversation at or near the time of the accident," according to the NHSB.
The national board recommends that every state ban nonemergency use of portable electronic devices for all drivers.
Do you agree? Take our poll below!
From MoDOT, work zones for December 15-21
All lanes on eastbound I-64 in downtown St. Louis will close this weekend
In downtown St. Louis, all lanes on eastbound I-64 from Jefferson to 6th Street will close this weekend. The closures will occur from 8 p.m. Friday until 8 p.m. Sunday for bridge work. Motorists are urged to use Jefferson to I-44 as a detour to get downtown.
Ramps at Pine Street, Forest Park and Ewing, too
The eastbound ramps at Pine Street, Forest Park and Ewing will close at 7 p.m. Friday until 8 p.m. Sunday.
Broadway or the 10th Street entrance ramps as well
On westbound I-64, the Broadway or the 10th Street entrance ramps will also close from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday. Either ramp closure depends on if the left or right lane on westbound I-64 is closed. Both ramps will not be closed at the same time.
Striping to continue on 270
Crews will continue striping both northbound and southbound lanes of I-270 between I-70 and Olive Boulevard daily from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., weather permitting.
And the on-going closures...
- I-70, St. Louis City, right lane on eastbound I-70 closed from St. Louis Avenue to Broadway until summer 2012.
- I-64, St. Louis City, eastbound 11th Street exit ramp closed weekdays 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- I-70, St. Louis City, express lanes are closed until mid-December.
- I-70, St. Louis City, the ramp from eastbound I-70 to 10th Street has permanently closed.
- Grand Blvd, St. Louis City, closed from I-64 to Chouteau by St. Louis City until mid 2012.