UPDATED at 9:31 a.m.
Community Christian Church at 623 Meramec Station Road in Manchester suffered smoke damage in its sanctuary, but no injuries from an early morning blaze likely caused by sparks in the heating system, according to a report from Patch partner FOX2.
"It's really not something I care to remember," Deanna Simpson, business manager of the Disciples of Christ-affiliated church told Patch on Thursday morning.
She said the furnace repair and the smell of smoke were the top priorities to address in the aftermath of the fire. She said she got the first report from the alarm company at about 2:15 a.m. today.
West County EMS and Fire Chief Ernie Rhodes said the fire started in the basement in a heating unit. Rhodes told FOX 2 residents and business owners should check and clean their heating units annually.
Firefighters had the fire out in about 30 minutes, FOX2 reported.
*This article has been updated to reflect the name of the West County EMS and Fire Chief as Ernie Rhodes.